Today's A Very Pinteresting Christmas is brought to you by my friend Jordan who is author of the blog Recipe or Not. I met Jordan through the Oklahoma Women Bloggers. She is an Okie born and raised, but recently packed up her life and moved to Wisconsin. We didn't even know she moved, and then she just announced it one day along with a Chai Spiced Muffin recipe. That is what is so great about the bloggy world, we didn't miss a beat, even though we do miss having her in our backyard. Be sure you pin this recipe, and follow Jordan at the following sites: Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
If Christmas were a pie, I’m certain it would be this. The apples and cranberries may seem like the stars of this pie but the supporting cast (cinnamon, nutmeg and orange) is what really gives it the Christmas pie status.
Reasons why I love this pie (other than the fact that it tastes like Christmas) include its simplicity and rustic look. You’re only dealing with one pie crust and you don’t have to worry about trying to make a perfectly crimped edge around a pie pan. Just fold the edge and bake. It’s simple, festive, and delicious!
Flat Apple Cranberry Pie
Serves about 6
1 pie crust
¼ c. sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. ground nutmeg
¼ t. orange zest
small squeeze of fresh orange juice (½ - 1 T.)
1 & ½ granny smith apples, thinly sliced
¼ c. chopped cranberries
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, and orange juice. Then stir in the apple slices and chopped cranberries until they’ve been covered in the sugar and spices. Roll out the pie crust to about 12-13 inches in diameter, transfer to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place the apple & cranberry mixture on the pie crust, leaving a 1 ½ ” edge between the filling and the edge of the crust. Fold the edge of the pie crust up in sections to enclose the filling. (Optional, brush the crust with egg yolk for a brown, glossy finish) Bake for 40 minutes until the crust is brown & flaky and the apples & cranberries are tender.
Be sure to tune in each day this week as I bring you "A Very Pinteresting Christmas" Link-up and if you have any Pinterest inspired activities throughout the week, be sure to grab the button below and link-up your ideas!
I do have a few rules:
- You can link up pretty much anything as long as you "created" it. (A Pinterest inspired/worthy food, craft or DIY project)
- Keep it family friendly, I reserve the rights to delete any links that are not appropriate.
- By linking up you are giving me permission to feature or show off your project! Of course I am going to link it back to you.
- I would love if you linked back to my site and mentioned on your blog, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, G+, Instagram or any other social media site about the link-up. Help me spread the word please.
- Comment. Comment love means so much to others and builds those blogging relationships. Visit 2-3 other links and leave them a nice, meaningful comment. Thanks!
"A Very Pinteresting Christmas" will be 15 days of Pinterest inspired food, fun, crafty days of link-ups that all can be used during this wonderful season of joy. It will run from December 1-19 here at The 4-Crow's Blog. I hope you will join in on the fun, and be sure you are following my boards on Pinterest for all my ideas and fun!